Sunday, August 5, 2012

Union Local 613

Whenever I hear about any kind of new restaurant opening up in Centertown it becomes a must for me to try it out. I love our little neighborhood and gladly welcome any new magical spots to eat when lazy or just feeling like having a little something different. And that is exactly what we got at Union Local 613 which opened over the past month at Somerset.

First I just want to start off with how AMAZING the decor was because of course you all know how much I love interior design. Mason jar everything (swoon because i have a mason jar addiction), glass bottles made into lighting, kitchen tools as pulls for the beer taps, reclaimed barn wood covering the ceiling and burlap sacks adorning the menus! Not to mention a gorgeous mural painted by local tattoo artist Julian of Five Cent Tattoos







Now on to the food! The prices aren't what I would call wallet friendly but don't let that stop you from eating as much on the menu as possible because it's all so good! We started off by trying all the appetizers they had ( it was 3 of us it was nice to just share). So we got the deviled eggs, biscuits w rabbit gravy and a sampler platter of meats (though now they have battered pumkin flowers which i am super tempted to go back and try)

The deviled eggs were by far the best I have ever had, they had cured bacon in them!? I mean how can it get better than that! I loved the biscuits and gravy, at first I wasn't sure how I felt about eating rabbit but it was delish. The meat platter was alright but what really made it shine was the amazing mustard served with it!




I really loved how everything came out on mismatched plates, the type you'd expect to see up at the cottage. Made it all feel very comforting and homey.

For dinner I had the fried green tomatoes, boston bibb, pimento cheese, pickled corn, bacon & black pepper ranch along with the oysters on the half shell . I could have eaten it all 10 times over. I really liked their untraditional take on fried green tomatoes and the salad was a perfect compliment to them! The oysters were huge, fresh and delightful!



Nate had their special of the day which was a slow spit cooked pork along with their macaroni salad which has shrimp in it! Somehow I didn't taste any but he said it was amazing. Our friend who came with us had the yard bird (essentially deep fried chicken) it had a buttermilk batter and an amazing dry rub underneath that gave it a really rich flavoring def worth trying.

And last but not least me and Nate had dessert! We were actually pretty full but everything had been so delicious and unique up to that point we felt like we had to taste dessert!  I had a lavender and buttermilk tart and Nate had some sort of parfait with caramel and candied jalapenos. Again both amazing w zero complaints!



All in all if I could afford to I would eat at this place easily once a week lol. I guess if I could control myself to just ordering a thing or 2 I could but I am not very good at self control. Our server was so sweet and always on top of everything and their staff as a whole was very friendly and welcoming. For sure my favorite new restaurant in the neighborhood and hopefully soon to be yours too!

You can check out more of their menu on their website linked at the start of the blog and feel free to follow them on Facebook or Twitter !


2 comments:

  1. Food and decor looks fantab! Definitely got to check this place out when we're in town next :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mist it's a must! Promise you guys won't be disappointed! Also I can't wait for your wedding!!!

    ReplyDelete